Current:Home > NewsHomeless people say they will likely return to sites if California clears them under Newsom’s order -Capitatum
Homeless people say they will likely return to sites if California clears them under Newsom’s order
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 01:32:38
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three years ago, Joel Hernandez built a small wooden shack under the 405 freeway cutting through Los Angeles.
He had the help of a friend who lives in his own shack, just a few steps down the stairs he painstakingly dug out of the dirt hillside and reinforced with wooden planks.
Hernandez has had similar homes be cleared in homeless encampment sweeps by state or city authorities over the years, so the 62-year-old is taking in stride that his days in his makeshift shelter on state-owned land might be numbered. California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday issued an executive order directing state agencies to start clearing homeless encampments on state land, including lots under freeways.
“You get used to it,” Hernandez said. “I have to rebuild it every time.”
Many people living in these encampments echoed a similar sentiment of quiet resignation. Some simply wonder: Where else is there to go?
The order comes on the heels of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling earlier this summer allowing cities to enforce bans on sleeping outside in public spaces, even if there are no shelter beds available.
Newsom’s order directs state agencies to act soon and follow the lead of the California Department of Transportation, known as Caltrans, which has removed 11,188 encampments and more than 248,000 cubic yards (189,600 cubic meters) of debris from these encampments along the state rights of way, mostly freeways and highways, since July 2021. Caltrans oversees much of the land under and near the state’s freeways and highways.
But most of the time, the people living in those encampments return after officials leave.
“I haven’t found a better place,” said Hernandez, who has been on the waiting list for a shelter for three years. At least in this spot, he lives close to his friends and gets along with most of the people in the encampment, Hernandez said.
Hernandez and others admit it is not the safest place to live. A recent fire destroyed many of the shelters in the underpass, leaving the underside of the highway blackened and the area scattered with burnt trash, a broken grill, abandoned shopping carts and more.
Esca Guernon lives next to the freeway further away from the underpass with her dog, Champion. Sometimes people disturb her tent while she is sleeping or steal her belongings. But she always comes back after an encampment sweep.
“We have to take what we have, like our bikes or something, and we go over there for them to clean up,” said Guernon, pointing across the street. “I come back, because I don’t know where to go.”
On Friday, an outreach team from Hope the Mission of Van Nuys, California, handed out cold bottles of water and snacks to Guernon and her friend. They will come back in a few days to begin the intake process and get them on the waiting list for a shelter.
“For us we’re just building our rapport with them,” said Armando Covarrubias, an outreach team leader with the organization. It can take repeated visits for someone to accept their offer of help, he said.
Covarrubias said Newsom’s executive order does nothing to reduce the population of homeless people, many who have to remain outside while waiting for a shelter bed.
“It’s not a solution. It’s not fair for them,” Covarrubias said. “This just puts more stress on them.”
Newsom and supporters of his order, including many businesses, say the encampments cannot be left to exist because they pose health and safety issues both for homeless people and residents who live nearby.
His executive order is about “getting the sense of urgency that’s required of local government to do their job,” Newsom said.
veryGood! (58)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Gayle King dishes on her SI Swimsuit cover, how bestie Oprah accommodates her needs
- Brian Flores responds to Tua Tagovailoa criticism: 'There's things that I could do better'
- Hacker tried to dodge child support by breaking into registry to fake his death, prosecutors say
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- It Ends With Us' Brandon Sklenar Slams Critics Vilifying the Women Behind the Film
- Democrats set their convention roll call to a soundtrack. Here’s how each song fits each state
- Mayim Bialik, other celebs are doing hyperbaric oxygen therapy. What is it?
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Lithium drilling project temporarily blocked on sacred tribal lands in Arizona
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- ‘The fever is breaking': DeSantis-backed school board candidates fall short in Florida
- It's Al Roker's 70th birthday, and he got this advice from Oprah Winfrey
- Paris Hilton looks through remnants from trailer fire in new video: 'Burned to a crisp'
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Nevada Supreme Court declines to wade into flap over certification of election results, for now
- Utah lawsuit seeks state control over vast areas of federal land
- Hunter Biden’s lawyers, prosecutors headed back to court ahead of his trial on federal tax charges
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Mall guard tells jurors he would not have joined confrontation that led to man’s death
Taylor Swift Breaks Silence on “Devastating” Cancellation of Vienna Shows Following Terror Plot
Ashanti Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Nelly
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Montana county recounts primary election ballots after some double-counted, same candidates advance
What Out of the Darkness Reveals About Aaron Rodgers’ Romances and Family Drama
UPS driver suffering from heat exhaustion 'passed out,' got into crash, Teamsters say